Catholic parish church of Saint James
The parish church of Saint James situated on the market square dates back to the 14th century and is believed to have been built by the German knight, Johann Brömser. The bell tower is crowned with a weather vane with half-moon and star in remembrance of the Crusades, which Brömser fought in. After being almost entirely destroyed in 1944, the building was subsequently rebuilt using quarry stone from the Rhineland. Visitors to the church will find the medieval carved tombstones of the Rüdesheim nobility as well as the gothic tympanum of particular interest.
Benedictine Abbey of Saint Hildegard
Come and visit the Benedictine Abbey of Saint Hildegard situated among the vineyards above Rüdesheim. The community of nuns here live according to the Rule of Saint Benedict and in keeping with the traditions of Saint Hildegard. Prayer and work, contemplation and action, seclusion and hospitality all characterise their way of life. Those who make the journey uphill to discover this peaceful commune are greeted by a magnificent panoramic view of the Middle Rhine Valley. The abbey church is well worth a visit, whether to study the frescos painted in the style of the Beuron art school or simply for silent contemplation. An extensive shop offers an exquisite range of items for sale, including a large assortment of books, cards and artwork from its own studios, as well as a selection of fine wines, sparkling wines and liqueurs produced from the abbey's very own vineyards. Open March 1st until 4th advent Monday to Saturday 11-17h, Sunday and Holidays 14-17h, closed on Tuesdays.
Contact: +49 (0) 67 22/ 4 99-0, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, www.abtei-st-hildegard.de
Catholic parish church of Saint Hildegard
The parish and pilgrimage church of Saint Hildegard is today situated on the foundations of the original convent founded by Hildegard of Bingen in 1165. Following a fire in 1932 the building was carefully reconstructed during the following three years in keeping with its original stylistic features. The remains of Saint Hildegard are preserved in a precious shrine which can be found in the church. To mark the anniversary of her death, hundreds of pilgrims pour into Eibingen every year on 17 September to take part in the relic procession honouring the saint.
Built in 1855 as the first protestant church in the Rheingau region, one of the church's most notable features is the 'grapevine' window that dates back to 1968 and illustrates biblical parables and scenes of wine and wine-making.
Parish church of the Holy Cross at Assmannshausen
Built over a period of several decades during the 14th century, this church was first mentioned in record books in the year 1325. Its high altar, formerly a rood altar, was replaced in 1872 by a winged altar in the Gothic style, the centrepiece of which is a painting donated to the church by the school of M. Grünewald (15th century).
Former Nothgottes Monastery
The pilgrimage church was built by the Knights Brömser of Rüdesheim in 1390, the former monastery buildings were erected in 1622. The churche's miraculous Image is now in St. Jakobus parish church in Rüdesheim.